NDAK16009U CANCELLED: Visualization (Vis)
MSc Programme in Computer Science
The course introduces participants to visualization: use of interactive visual representations to help people understand and analyse data. Visualization is central to data-intensive science, business and intelligence analysis, for exploratory data analysis, and for clearly communicating findings in data.
This course partly overlaps with the Interactive Data Exploration course. The main difference between the courses is that the Visualization course focuses on the theoretical foundations of visualizations and includes considerations about current challenges in information visualization research. These aspects will be emphasized in the assessment of the final project and the oral exam of this course. Students can only take (and get credit for) one of the two courses.
- Key principles of visualization
- Fundamental visualization and interaction techniques for different data types
- Methods and frameworks for analyzing and designing visualizations
- Challenges in information visualization
- Systematically analysing and comparing visualizations
- Designing a visualization that effectively supports a particular task
- Reasoning about and justifying the application of visualization to a problem in a particular domain
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 20 minThe oral exam is without preparation and is based on a group project report.
Weight oral exam: 100%
- Exam registration requirements
To qualify for the exam, the student must (1) hand in a report based on their project and (2) have approved 4 assignments that are given during the course.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners
Re-exam same as ordinary exam. If the student is not qualified then qualification can be achieved by hand-in and approval of equivalent assignments and a report for a final project. The assignments must be submitted no later than 2 weeks before the re-exam.
Criteria for exam assesment
See Learning Outcome.
- Project work