NBIB15008U Microbial Biotechnology
BSc Programme in Biology
BSc Programme in Molecular Biomedicine
Significant areas within the following topics are covered:
- Microbial activity in natural environments and their requirement for biotechnology
- Systems for microbial growth
- Fermentation kinetics
- Strain and media development
- Product Optimization
- Basic topics in microbial physiology
- Primary / secondary metabolite excretion (enzymes and penicillin production), and ingredients for food industry
- Rights and patenting
- Innovation and startup companies
To illustrate some of the areas, guests from industry and university attend.
The course aims to give students insight into and understanding
of areas of microbial biotechnology research and provide background
information on the molecular biological methods, which are
prerequisites for this research. With the students own involvement
in the lessons, it is expected that they will acquire the ability
to participate in public discussion of related topics.
- Selected areas of research within microbial biotechnology
- Selected biotechnological processes related to microorganisms
- Danish biotechnology companies and their focus areas
- Natural environments as a prerequisite for microbial biotechnology
- Innovation and entrepreneurship
- Assess natural environments as a prerequisite for microbial biotechnology
- Use selected laboratory methods relevant to microbial biotechnology
- Perform oral and written presentations of topics in microbial biotechnology
- Analyze scientific articles on microbial biotechnology
- Assess selected areas of research within microbial biotechnology
- Assess selected biotechnological processes related to microorganisms
The practical exercises focus on
i) production and activity of bacterial enzymes at low temperature and high pH and
ii) fungal production of penicillin.
Students hand in a written report on the exercises and do an oral presentation of a specific part of the exercises.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 15-20 minutes, no preparation timeThe exam questions will be handed out in the beginning of the course.
- Exam registration requirements
To take the final exam, the students must have delivered a satisfactory essay dealing with the laboratory exercises.
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners.
If the requirement for the exam is not fulfilled, the students must have delivered a satisfactory essay dealing with the laboratory exercises 2 weeks before the reexamination.
Criteria for exam assesment
In order to obtain the grade 12 the student should convincingly and accurately demonstrate the knowledge, skills and competences described under Learning Outcome.
- Practical exercises
- Project work
- Theory exercises