LPLK10381U Climate Solutions
MSc Programme in Climate Change
MSc Programme in Environmental Science
MSc Programme in Agriculture
Climate Solutions is an interdisciplinary course offered by the
University of Copenhagen. It is open for MSc students and
continuing education students with a relevant BSc background in
natural sciences, social sciences, humanities, law and economics.
The focus of the course is the implementation of concrete solutions for reducing greenhouse gas emissions at the level of the private and public organization. Many technologies and solutions for reducing greenhouse gas emissions are already available, but due to lack of knowledge transfer they are not implemented.
Private and public organizations having an actual intention to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions are selected as cases (e.g. a municipality, a farm, a manufacturing company, a local business, etc.).
Students will be working together in groups as consultants for their case organizations to create concrete plans for implementing the most effective and cost-effective solutions for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
The students will be given the tools to create such a plan by participating in workshops together with university and industry experts in best available technologies and best available practices to reduce greenhouse gas emissions within relevant fields such as natural science, planning, economics and human behavior.
For more information see the course homepage at www.climate-solutions.dk
The aim of the course is to give MSc students with different
academic backgrounds the capability to work together in
interdisciplinary teams as consultants for private and public
organizations to implement concrete solutions for reducing
greenhouse gas emissions. After completing the course the student
should be able to:
- Identify the best available technologies and best available practices for reducing greenhouse gas emissions relating to specific industries or businesses
- Select the most relevant technologies and practices for reducing greenhouse gas emissions at the level of the private and public organization
- Compare the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of selected technologies and practices to reduce greenhouse gas emissions at the level of the private and public organization
- Discuss advantages and disadvantages of different technologies and practices to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Cooperate and work together as consultants for private and public organizations to create plans for implementing the most effective and cost-effective solutions for reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- Reflect on the consequences of lack of knowledge transfer and the need for further research and development of better technologies and practices for reducing greenhouse gas emissions
The learning resources consist of selected articles, reports and book chapters, which will be made available online.
3) group work to create concrete plans for implementing solutions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the case organizations, 4) multimedia project, 5) progress report and supervision and 6) individual oral examination with feedback from teachers.
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Continuous assessmentOral examination, 15Description of Examination: Students will be assessed on the basis of: i) continuous assessment, ii) individual contribution to a group report and a multimedia project, iii) individual performance in an oral exam covering the group reports and the general curriculum (15 min without preparation time)
Weight: 30% continuous assessment 30% individual contribution to group report and multimedia project; 40% oral exam
- Exam registration requirements
Continuous participation in group work on report and multimedia project.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners
Oral examination, 25 minutes
If the requirements are not met, an iIndividual report and multimedia project on an assigned topic must be handed in 2 weeks before re-examination.
Criteria for exam assesment
Please see the description of learning outcome
- Project work