AØKK08081U Seminar: Strategic Management
The purpose is to train students in applying classical and new models, approaches, and perspectives in Strategic Management on industries and organizations in order to come up with suggestions for top managers concerning actions for the long term development of the organization. In order to construct a budget or to evaluate the economic value of a company or to make investment decision regarding a company it is normally necessary to understand the corporate strategy of the corporation.
Additional for the learning outcome specified in the Curriculum, the learning outcome of the seminar are
- An analyses of the future development and the economic attractiveness of a specific industry
- An analyses of an organizations resources, activities and competences, and a discussion of how to create competitive advantages and economic value for that organization
- The development of a competitive strategy and/or a growth strategy for a specific firm
- The development of a corporate strategy for a specific corporation
- The development of an international strategy or a strategy for innovation for a specific company
- Strategic evaluation of a specific strategy for a company
Implementation of a specific strategy for an organization
“Exploring Strategy - Text and Cases – Eleventh Edition”, by Johnson, Whittington, Scholes, Angwin & Regnér published by Pearson Education 2017. ISBN 978-1-292-14517-4
Before the session a "so-finalized-as-possible"-version of the paper must be uploaded in Absalon. After the presentations, the student submit an edited version of the paper in the Digital Exam portal as the final exam paper. The aim is that students use the presentation sessions as an opportunity to receive and use the constructive feedback to improve the paper.
• Kick-off meeting: 3th of September 2018 from 14.15 – 15.00
• Commitment paper: Not later than 17th of September
• Individual supervision: 19th of September between 09:00 and 16:00
• Deadline pre-paper: Monday the 29th of October before 10 AM
• Presentations: Thursday the 8th of November and Thursday the 15th of November
• Kick off meeting: The 5th of February 2:00-3:00 pm
• Commitment paper. The 26th of February before 10:00 am
• Iindividual supervision: 28th of February and 1th of Marts
• Upload of nearly finished paper at Absalon no later than the 17th of April
• Presentations and critics: Full day the 3th and 8th of May
Read about the study programme and curricula at MSc in Economics
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written examination- a seminar paper in English that meets the formal requirements for written papers stated in the curriculum and at KUNet for seminars.
- Exam registration requirements
Attendance in all activities at the seminar as stated in the formal requrements in the Curriculum and at the KUnet for seminars (UK) and KUnet for seminars (DK) is required to participate in the exam.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
- Exam period
Deadline for submitting the final seminar paper in DE: November 30, 2018 before 10.00 a.m.
Deadline for uploading the final seminar exam paper to DE: 1st of June 2018 before 10:00 AM
The reexam is a written paper as stated in the Master curriculum.
Criteria for exam assesment
Students are assessed on the extent to which they master the learning outcome for the seminar and can make use of the knowledge, skills and competencies listed in the learning outcomes in the Curriculum of the Master programme.
To receive the top grade, the student must with no or only a few minor weaknesses be able to demonstrate an excellent performance displaying a high level of command of all aspects of the relevant material.
- Project work